A Guide to Web Business & Web Hosting
From deciding on how your online business is best structured, to consulting with web designers and developers in an informed manner, this course jargon-busts the complex and potentially hazardous path to creating a successful online business and how you can best avoid disappointment and at the same time maximise your online potential with the minimum of stress and expenditure.
A host of subjects are covered in detail, from how your website is to be built, and the technologies best employed to achieve it, to the most effective ways of appointing web designers and developers in order to ensure that they build you what you actually want, in the correct way, bug-free and with future expandability in mind.
In addition to web development and implimentation, this course also examines the various types of web hosting currently on offer in the marketplace, including some of the lesser-known technical aspects of web hosting. This unique course helps you dispell the industry mystique and replace it with a clear and concise road map of the way ahead for your business.
This inspiring course is taught by a master trainer with over 15 years experience specifically in Internet development and the new media industry. He has owned and sold multiple online businesses and worked at the highest levels in web consultancy and development since 1995.
Duration: 1 day.
Location: 21st Century Studios, St Albans, Hertfordshire. For security reasons, further details are only provided upon booking.
Times: 10.00am to 4.30pm.
Equipment: Our fully featured training room includes six top-of-the-range iMac computers configured to work in both Macintosh (OSX) and PC (Windows) modes, ensuring you the maximum familiarity with your chosen operating system.
Further assistance: Our FAQ page contains the answers to many common questions. Alternatively please call 01727 827733 to arrange to speak to our training manager.
- Types of web based businesses
- Online businesses which tend to succeed
- Why some online businesses fail
- How to make sure you’re on the winning side
Methods of income
- E-commerce sales
- Digital distribution & sales
- Physical & Digital goods
- Advertising & sponsorship
- Banner and interstitial advertising
- Affiliate commissions
- Developing your own affiliate network
- Simple external shopping carts
- More complex options & externally hosted solutions
- Your own shopping cart – asp, php and databases explained
- Shopping carts for digital distribution
- Physical and digital shopping carts combined
- Other forms of e-commerce
- Security issues – problems to be aware of and how to avoid them
- Booking systems and calendar based solutions
- Subscriptions and other auto-repeating payment options
- Back-end management systems – what you can get ‘off the shelf’ and what needs to be built
- Reporting and accounting tools
Technologies & Practices
- HTML – what you need to know
- SEO – the vital principles before you start
- ASP & SQL Server – CMS database technologies available and how they work
- PHP & mySQL – choosing the best CMS database platforms for your system
- Ajax – cool effects and power under the hood
- XML – news and feed distribution to propel your marketing
- Flash – how much should I use?
- The benefits and limitations of an ‘all Flash’ web site
Brand image and company style
- Brief history of web styles
- Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 standards
- What works best and in which sectors
- Getting the branding just right
- Why SEO is so important
- Making an SEO plan before you start
- Dynamic Vs static pages
- SEO friendly CMS systems
- Planning your site structure
- Systems and workflow
- Product catalogues & CMS systems
- Transaction processing & callbacks
- Back-end implementation
- Dividing the job up – who gets what?
- Finding and employing the right kind of developer
- Terms of hire and what works in what circumstances
- Recruitment agencies: when you do and don’t need them
- Graphic designer Vs web designer – when and why you need both
- Web programmers & developers – how to know when you’ve found a good one
- Web site administrators and choosing hosting companies
- Maintaining and growing the business development
Building it Yourself
- What you need to know first
- Learning the software – Adobe Vs Apple Vs Microsoft
- Software overview: Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash.
- What languages do you need to know?
- Training courses vs online learning
- What is web hosting?
- Types of web hosting: Unix/Linux & Windows OS
- Web hosting packages
- Web hosting hardware
- Choosing a web hosting company
- What is web space, and how much do I need?
- Web forwarding
- Data Transfer & Bandwidth
- Virtual Servers & Shared Hosting
- Virtual Private Servers
- Dedicated Servers and Colocation Hosting
- Business Hosting
- Reseller Accounts
- Setup and monthly costs
- Advantages and disadvantages of using UK and overseas data centres
- Support contracts
- What they don’t tell you
- Email forwarding (Single and Catch-All)
- POP3 & IMAP Mailboxes
- Microsoft Exchange
- Virus Scanning
- Spam Protection and Junk Mail Filters
- SMS Text Messaging
- What is SMTP?
Domains and Domain Names
- Choosing a domain name
- Domain name types (.com, .co.uk, .eu)
- Registering a Domain Name
- DNS Management, Contacts and Domain Nameservers
- Domain transfers: Transferring domains in, Transferring domains out
- Nominet Tags
- Locking and unlocking domains
- Domain parking and forwarding
- Sub domains
Databases & Web Programming
- MySQL Databases
- MS SQL databases
- PHP 4 & 5 & phpMyAdmin
- ASP & ASP.NET
- CGI, CGI-BINs and Perl
- FTP Accounts – how they work and how to use them
- Home page creators & website builders
- Web site templates & Flash templates: the pro’s and con’s.
- Zen Cart, WordPress & Mambo
- Shopping Cart / E-commerce hosting
- Merchant Accounts
- White-label softwares
- Remote management
- Root access
- Control panels
- Customer Management Systems
- Up-time & Downtime
- Upload & Download Speeds
- Load Balancing
- Static IP Addresses
- FrontPage Extensions
- Password Protection
- Scheduled Tasks
- Backup and Restore
- Web site statistics & reading log files
- Secure Servers and SSL Certificates
- SSI – Server Side Includes
- cPanel, Plesk & WHM Control Panels
- Search Engine Submission
- Google Adwords
Launching & marketing
- When to launch – soft and hard launches
- Offline promotion – what works and what doesn’t
- Online promotion & publicity
- Keeping the flame alive
- Further marketing options
Summary & Questions
Web One Hundred Ltd.
See more testimonials for this course >>>
Schedule your own training course
Please tell us where and when YOU would like to attend this course.
If we are able to schedule the course, we will contact you.